Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Tahlequah Public Schools



Ajax Loading Image


Protests in Ferguson Calming Down at Last

The death of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri on August 9th, 2014 started a series of events that have been made well known through the news in the past weeks. The first and most damaging event to hit Ferguson was the nearly two weeks of protesting on city streets that caused damage to many businesses in the area. The unrest in the city is centered on how Brown was killed. Brown, who was African American, was shot six times by a white police officer while having his arms raised into the air in surrender. Brown was unarmed when he was killed.

As many as one thousand protestors appeared at the scene of the shooting on the day it happened to show their anger in Officer Darren Wilson’s choice to shoot and kill Brown. Many protestors from out of state joined the protest.

Brown’s friend Dorian Johnson, who was walking with Brown at the time he was shot, told the story. According to cnn.com, Johnson claimed that a police car pulled up behind them and told them to walk on the sidewalk. Brown and the officer had an exchange of words and the officer shot Brown after he raised his hands in the air. The officer shot Brown multiple times while Brown was starting to get down.

Early on Thursday, August 21, streets in Ferguson began to clear from protestors. Hopes were high that the protests and riots might be finally concluded, or at least stopped for a while. The town of Ferguson would finally be able to be put back together with peace on the streets.

Brown’s funeral was held on Monday, August 25 after an autopsy that showed six definite gunshot wounds.

A new light may have been shed on the case on Tuesday, August 26, when audio of Brown’s shooting was released by a man who has chosen to remain anonymous. The audio reveals evidence of at least ten shots being fired—a set of six, and a set of four after a pause. The man who released the recording was video chatting with a friend at the time and was recording their conversation.

The issue of the pause between shots will surely be a cause of much controversy in the upcoming days and weeks and will surely impact the case against Officer Wilson.

It seems as though every story of Michael Brown’s shooting has been told differently.

According to washingtonpost.com, the grand jury convened to review evidence in the case. If the grand jury chooses to indict Wilson, he could face charges of murder or manslaughter unless it is proven that he acted in self-defense. Second degree murder charges are possible but unlikely if Wilson claims he feared for his life.

Only time will tell how this issue will finally conclude, either with jail time for Officer Wilson or no action being taken against him. As more information is released and a greater viewpoint of the story is unfolded, the case may be brought back into light.

All the American people can do is wait for some new action to be taken in the case that has rapidly lost media attention. The hope is that no more dangerous and destructive riots will erupt on the streets of Ferguson.